Air Transport Nurse - Granbury, TX
Air Transport Nurse
Location: Granbury, TX
This position serves to enhance emergency medical transport services for CareFlite’s sponsoring facilities, as well as other medical facilities and emergency services in North Central Texas.
The Transport Nurse and Transport Paramedic will work together as a team to provide emergency transport services by helicopter, fixed wing, and when needed, ground critical care. The crew staff a variety of shifts which include day, night and weekend shifts at all CareFlite locations. They are also required to take call to ensure adequate staffing of all CareFlite bases.
This position requires a personal commitment to CareFlite’s mission and core values and the willingness to demonstrate those core values in all activities performed for CareFlite or while representing CareFlite. The incumbent(s) of this position are active participants in the organization and support changes necessary for the organization’s success and survival.
REPORTS TO AND IS EVALUATED BY:
This position reports to and is evaluated by their assigned base’s Air Clinical Team Leader for daily shift activities and other areas as delegated by the Chief Flight Nurse and/or Air Medical Clinical Process Manager. The Transport Nurse ultimately reports to the Chief Flight Nurse.
This position works collaboratively with other CareFlite personnel in all divisions, but does not provide direction of personnel. This position may from time to time provide direction to other personnel who are being oriented.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Transport Nurse cares for critically ill or injured patients. The incumbent will perform the technical procedures/tasks safely (without causing harm), legally (complies with policy/law), efficiently (uses resources appropriately) and effectively (achieves the intended outcome).
- Assure compliance with all applicable standards by maintaining a thorough working knowledge of advanced clinical procedures, patient care protocols, aviation safety, radio communications, medical equipment, emergency/survival procedures and continuous quality improvement and management initiatives.
- Participates in daily shift duties to maintain the medical component of the helicopter equipment and supplies in a state of readiness to respond immediately to transport requests.
- Attends all mandatory in-services including staff meetings, procedure labs and training offerings.
- The Transport Nurse is responsible for fostering and developing positive collaboration between CareFlite and its internal and external customers. Ensures the positive image of CareFlite and exemplary customer service in all aspects of their operations which include landing zone courses, CareFlite tours, patient follow-ups, equipment return to referral agencies, and outreach initiatives.
- Accommodates family members to the extent possible without jeopardizing the safety of the patient mission or other CareFlite personnel.
- The Transport Nurse will consistently respond to mission requests safely and urgently, while working to reach the patient and customers to provide help and hope. Transporting patients to definitive care will be accomplished safely and urgently.
- The Transport Nurse will maintain operational readiness by completing transports efficiently, prepare to accept multiple missions, rapidly turn after missions, and minimize out of service time.
- The Transport Nurse will provide professional, timely, and thorough responses to external customers, peers, supervisors, and management.
- The Transport Nurse will complete all required assignments on time, or ahead of schedule.
- The Transport Nurse will consistently render the highest quality patient care in a professional, expedient, and comprehensive manner.
- The Transport Nurse will actively participate in quality assurance/improvement activities as directed by their supervisor. Each incumbent will acquaint themselves with the quality assurance surveys and/or quality improvement projects which affect their practice and adhere to the standards or changes implemented. Each incumbent will provide feedback in a positive proactive manner on quality assurance/improvement activities which impact their practice.
- The Transport Nurse will diligently complete patient care records that are thorough, accurate and submitted correctly.
- The Transport Nurse will identify efficient or cost saving ideas in a timely manner to their immediate supervisor. The incumbent will ensure that their time and attendance record is accurate and complete on a timely basis.
- The Transport Nurse will utilize their free time while on duty to improve their professional skills, participate in work related projects and complete mandatory job requirements.
- The Transport Nurse will strive to maintain excellent attendance and punctuality
- The Transport Nurse must work together with many other health professionals to coordinate the transport mission and deliver appropriate, quality patient care.
- The Transport Nurse will be supportive of diversity within the work setting and will address co-workers in a respectful manner at all times. Personal issues will be addressed outside the workplace.
- The Transport Nurse will deliver constructive criticism of co-workers or supervisors in a private setting and will be delivered in a positive and respectful manner.
- The Transport Nurse promotes teamwork by being involved in committees, special projects and educational offerings to enhance the overall operation of the program.
- The Transport Nurse focuses efforts on supporting the growth and development of their co-workers at all times.
PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT & GROWTH
- The Transport Nurse will manage his/her time appropriately to ensure that all areas of their job responsibilities are adequately covered. Actively seeks out additional assignments or assists co-workers with their tasks when they have completed their assigned tasks.
- Has active listening skills. Communicates to co-workers and the public in a clear, concise and positive manner, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrates the ability to empathize and interact with customers, patients, co-workers, and families who may be experiencing acute and/or extreme duress.
- Demonstrates a positive approach to problem solving and utilizes the chain of command appropriately to resolve work related issues.
- Maintains personal knowledge of area of expertise though industry contacts, review of pertinent literature and utilization of available educational resources.
- Maintains ethical, courteous and professional behavior, which reflects favorably on CareFlite. Adheres to the CareFlite Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct.
- Monitors owns strength and weakness and seek out opportunities and/or guidance for improvement. Seeks appropriate channels for personal and professional development.
- Demonstrates flexibility and has the ability to respond to changing guidance.
- Demonstrates changes in behavior or attitude following constructive guidance.
- Deals with conflict in an appropriate and effective manner and exhibits self-control.
- Exhibits a positive attitude in support of CareFlite and CareFlite/hospital management. Refrains from making negative comments about CareFlite, hospital and/or staff.
- Written and oral communications are clear, respectful, and concise.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Currently licensed as a registered nurse in Texas.
- Current certifications in BCLS, ACLS, PALS, and NRP preferred upon hire. All are required prior to completion of the air orientation process.
- TPATC or ATLS Audit preferred upon hire. TPATC or ATLS audit required within six months of hire. PHTLS is required prior to completion of the air orientation process.
- Texas EMT-P certification or licensure preferred upon hire and required within 18 months of hire.
- At least 3 years of experience as an RN in the Emergency Department and/or ICU. A combination of Emergency Department and ICU experience preferred.
- National Board Certification (CEN, CCRN, CFRN) is preferred. Certified Flight Registered Nurse (CFRN) is preferred upon hire and required within 18 months of hire. First attempt at exam must be made within 12 months of hire date.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to make decisions, which have moderate impact on immediate work unit.
- Ability to understand, remember and apply oral and/or written instructions.
- Must be able to see and speak with customers and observe equipment operation.
- Occasionally perform tasks while standing and walking up to 100% of time.
- Examine and assess the skin and other abnormalities through sight, touch and smell.
- Reach, bend, kneel and have high level of manual dexterity.
- Will often be required to lift and carry up to 25 pounds or more.
- Fast paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Frequently exposed to extreme temperatures and bloodborne pathogens.
- Required to wear personal protective equipment while performing specific tasks or in certain areas.
The statements contained in this position description reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.