CareFlite Emergency Medical Services Apprentice
CareFlite is a 501-C Not for Profit organization that provides medical transportation by helicopter, airplane and ground ambulance. We have over 50 EMS stations across DFW, and our corporate headquarters are located in Grand Prairie, TX
As a valued member of Team CareFlite you bring help and hope to patients and families following a terrible trauma, a sudden medical event, or any medical transport.
In this position your primary responsibility will be to learn and train to deliver high quality emergency and non-emergency care to patients transported by CareFlite’s Ground Division.
This position requires a personal commitment to CareFlite’s mission and core values and the willingness to demonstrate those core values in all activities performed for CareFlite or while representing CareFlite. The incumbent(s) of this position are active participants in the organization and support the changes necessary for the organization’s survival.
REPORTS TO / SUPERVISES AND IS EVALUATED BY
This position reports to and is evaluated by the designated Orientation & Training Manager as well as the Instructors of the CareFlite University Program
- Attend CareFlite’s accelerated 10-week EMT course and clinicals program.
- Complete course work and assignments in a timely manner.
- Maintain an average grade of 75 or higher.
- Always conduct yourself positively, professionally, and courteously.
- Adhere to all clinical and non-clinical responsibilities and requirements as listed.
- Learn the safe operations of the emergency vehicle in accordance with federal, state and local laws and regulations, as well as CareFlite Policies and Procedures.
- Demonstrate proficiency with all medical and non-medical equipment that are part of the ambulance and/or wheelchair van.
- Communicate positively with patients, family members and medical personnel.
- Accommodate family members to the extent possible without jeopardizing the safety of the patient mission or other CareFlite personnel.
- Provide the CareFlite Communications Center with information required to initiate, track and close out the mission.
- Meet special medical and/or comfort needs of patients to ensure that their transport is a positive experience.
- Learn how to deliver non-emergency and emergency patient care in accordance with Basic Life Support Protocols and CareFlite medical protocols.
- Learn how to complete appropriate clinical assessments of patients and report medical conditions to the receiving facility personnel and/or family.
- Learn how to complete appropriate patient care records to accurately report patient condition at time of transport and to record services rendered by CareFlite personnel before and during transport.
- Learn how to adequately check, clean, and stock CareFlite vehicles according to CareFlite policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate a positive approach to problem solving and utilizes the chain of command appropriately to resolve work or academy related issues.
- Possess and demonstrate sound judgment and objectivity in decision-making.
- Initiate work independently without direction and show you can be relied upon to complete tasks without continual supervision.
- Maintain knowledge of area of expertise through review of pertinent literature (manuals) and utilization of training and educational resources.
- Maintain professional appearance.
- Demonstrate ethical, courteous and professional behavior that reflects favorably on CareFlite. Adhere to the CareFlite Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct.
- Monitor your own areas of strength and weakness; and seek out opportunities and/or guidance for improvement. Seek appropriate channels for personal and professional development.
- Demonstrate flexibility to respond to changing priorities.
- Demonstrate positive changes in behavior or attitude following constructive feedback.
- Deal with conflict appropriately and professionally.
- Exhibit a positive attitude in support of CareFlite and CareFlite management. Refrains from making negative comments about CareFlite, customers, hospital, and/or staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPEREINCE REQUIRED
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Current Texas Class C driver’s license
- Clear and concise written and oral communications and ability to converse in English and be understood when speaking English.
- Demonstrated active listening skills.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary Range: $11.50/hour
Full medical, dental and vision