Ground Operations Manager- Dallas County
Ground Operations Manager
The Ground Operations Manager has a primary responsibility for ensuring that safe, high-quality, cost-effective transport services are provided by the ambulance division at all times.
This position requires the personal skills to be an effective leader and the ability to inspire individuals by communicating needed changes, motivating individuals to become active participating members of a team and encouraging self-development through a leadership example approach.
This position requires a personal commitment of CareFlite’s mission and core values and the willingness to demonstrate those core values in all activities performed for CareFlite or while representing CareFlite. The incumbent(s) of this position are active participants in the organization and support the changes necessary for the organization’s survival.
This position provides direct supervision of CareFlite Dallas Ground Clinical staff as they deliver basic and advanced life support to a wide spectrum of critically ill and/or injured patients. Is responsible for supervision of Field Supervisors
LOCATION: Dallas County
- Ensures that all ground personnel adhere to CareFlite policies and Texas Motor Vehicle regulations when operating CareFlite vehicles. Performs spot checks of driving performance and participates in driver training.
- Provides direct supervision and direction to CareFlite ambulance personnel at the site of transfer and throughout the transport. This supervision may necessitate chart review, actual visual review during transports and verbal debriefing of missions.
- Ensures adequate staffing to meet the patient care needs of the ambulance service.
- Participates in the evaluation of education needs for ambulance personnel and collaborates with the Director of Education/Education Department to meet those needs.
- Coordinates and conducts staff meetings to ensure that ambulance personnel are kept informed of pertinent changes in the organization.
- Responsible for fostering positive relationships between the CareFlite ambulance service and external users of the service. Interacts with local organizations involved in the delivery of emergency medical care and patient transports.
- Ensures that CareFlite ambulance personnel promote a positive image in all aspects of their operations and activities.
- Promotes personal and professional growth of all CareFlite ambulance personnel by allowing them opportunities for active participation in the program and its management.
- Collaborates with the Director of Ground Services and the Education Department in the development, implementation and evaluation of medical protocols for the CareFlite Ambulance Division. Ensures that clinical personnel adhere to these protocols.
- Ensures compliance of CareFlite Ambulance operations with appropriate national, state and local regulations as well as nationally accepted standards of practice for ground medical transport operations.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of policies and procedures for the CareFlite Ambulance Division. Responsible for the interpretation of these policies and procedures to ambulance personnel. Supports all CareFlite policies and procedures in a positive manner.
- Participates in the development of annual goals for the Ambulance division, which are consistent with the mission, and vision of the organization.
- Performs annual performance appraisals for CareFlite Ambulance personnel. Provides input on the performance appraisals of Communication Specialists.
- Initiates disciplinary action according to established policy, including counseling and written reprimands. May suspend personnel pending investigation. Makes recommendations for termination, promotion, or demotions to the Director of Ground Services.
- Participates in interviews of Ambulance Division personnel and makes recommendations of hire.
- Serves as a role model for CareFlite Ambulance personnel in the performance of clinical and supervisory duties.
- Actively participate in quality assurance/improvement activities as directed by their supervisor. Each incumbent will acquaint themselves with the quality assurance surveys and/or quality improvement projects, which affect their practice and adhere to the standards or changes implemented. Each incumbent will provide feedback in a positive proactive manner on quality assurance/improvement activities, which impact their practice.
- Provides input to the Director of Ground Services for the preparation of the annual budget, including recommendation for capital equipment purchases.
- Participates in the financial analysis of operational changes and/or proposals.
- Responsible for searching out opportunities to utilize their free time while on duty to improve their professional skills or participate in work related projects.
- Identify efficiency or cost saving ideas in a timely manner to their immediate supervisor.
- Responsible for focusing their efforts on supporting their co-workers at all times.
- Will be responsible for tolerance of diversity within the work setting and will address co-workers in a respectful manner at all times. Personal issues will be addressed outside the workplace. Constructive criticism of a co-worker or supervisor will be offered in a private setting and delivered in a positive and respectful manner.
PERSONAL CONDUCT AND GROWTH:
- Responsible for managing their time appropriately to ensure that all areas of their job responsibilities are adequately covered. Actively seeks out additional assignments or assists co-workers with their tasks when they have completed their assigned tasks.
- Has active listening skills. Communicates to co-workers and the public in a clear, concise and positive manner, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrates a positive approach to problem solving and utilizes the chain of command appropriately to resolve work related issues.
- Possesses and demonstrates sound judgment and objectivity in decision-making, including sound (airworthiness determination/clinical determination/business determinations).
- Initiates work independently without direction and can be relied upon to complete tasks without continual supervision.
- Maintains personal knowledge of area of expertise through industry contacts, review of pertinent literature (manuals) and utilization of available educational resources.
- Maintains ethical, courteous and professional behavior, which reflects favorably on CareFlite. Adheres to the CareFlite Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct.
- Monitors own areas of strength and weakness; and seeks out opportunities and/or guidance for improvement. Seeks appropriate channels for personal and professional development.
- Demonstrates flexibility and has the ability to respond to changing priorities.
- Demonstrates changes in behavior or attitude following constructive guidance.
- Deals with conflict in an appropriate and effective manner.
- Exhibits a positive attitude in support of CareFlite and CareFlite/hospital management. Refrains from making negative comments about NCTS, CareFlite, hospital and/or staff.
- Written and oral communications are clear and concise.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Current certification as a paramedic in the State of Texas
- Successful completion of the National Paramedic Registry examination, preferred.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in the EMS industry, 911 experience preferred.
- A minimum of two years’ experience at a supervisory level in an ambulance service of similar size and scope to CareFlite.
- Current Texas Class C driver’s license.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on information related to patients and personnel.
- Ability to work flexible schedules.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to make decisions, which have moderate impact on immediate work unit.
- Ability to understand, remember and apply oral and/or written instructions.
- Must be able to see and speak with customers and observe equipment operation.
- Occasionally perform tasks while standing and walking up to 100% of time.
- Examine and assess the skin and other abnormalities through sight, touch and smell.
- Reach, bend, kneel and have high level of manual dexterity.
- Will often be required to lift and carry up to 25 pounds or more.
- Fast paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Frequently exposed to extreme temperatures and bloodborne pathogens.
- Required to wear personal protective equipment while performing specific tasks or in certain areas.
The statements contained in this position description reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.