Ground Emergency Medical Technician
Ground Emergency Medical Technician
|Department:||40 Dallas County Ground|
|Location:||Grand Prairie, TX|
- Responsible for the safe operation of the emergency vehicle in accordance with federal, state and local laws and regulations, as well as CareFlite Policies and Procedures.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of all non-medical equipment, which is part of the ambulance and/or wheelchair van.
- Performs routine maintenance check on assigned vehicle at the beginning of each shift. Reports and documents maintenance performed and service required, if any.
- Assists flight crew in loading and unloading patients for the CareFlite helicopter and for fixed wing aircraft. Adheres to all aviation safety requirements in the performance of these duties.
- Responsible for ensuring that CareFlite is perceived by its customers in a positive manner by conducting all interaction in a professional and courteous manner.
- Communicates positively with patients, family members and medical personnel. Ensures that all individuals involved in the transport are fully informed of pertinent details related to the transport.
- Accommodates family members to the extent possible without jeopardizing the safety of the patient mission or other CareFlite personnel.
- Provides CareFlite Communication center with information required to initiate, track and close out the mission.
- Meets special medical and/or comfort needs of patients to ensure that their transport is a positive experience.
- Compliance is met according to contractual obligations.
- Employees should treat all calls as an emergency regardless of the call nature.
- Responsible for participating in the delivery of non-emergency and emergency patient care in accordance with Basic Life Support Protocols and CareFlite medical protocols.
- Completes appropriate clinical assessment of patients and reports medical condition to receiving facility personnel and/or family.
- Completes appropriate records to accurately report patient condition at time of transport and to record services rendered by CareFlite personnel before and during transport.
- Ensures that assigned vehicle is adequately stocked and cleaned according to CareFlite policies and procedures.
- Incumbent(s) will actively participate in quality assurance/improvement activities as directed by their supervisor. Each incumbent will acquaint themselves with the quality assurance surveys and/or quality improvement projects, which affect their practice and adhere to the standards or changes implemented.
- Each incumbent will provide feedback in a positive proactive manner on quality assurance/improvement activities, which impact their practice.
- Incumbent(s) will search out opportunities to utilize their free time while on duty to improve their professional skills or participate in work related projects, such as public relations with facilities.
- Incumbent(s) will identify efficiency or cost saving ideas in a timely manner to their immediate supervisor.
- Supports assigned partner by sharing in the delivery of patient care, lifting of patients and/or equipment, documentation of transports, and stocking, cleaning and maintenance of assigned vehicle.
- Incumbent(s) will focus their efforts on supporting their co-workers at all times.
- Incumbent(s) manage their time appropriately to ensure that all areas of their job responsibilities are adequately covered. Actively seeks out additional assignments or assists co-workers with their tasks when they have completed their assigned tasks.
- Have active listening skills. Communicates to co-workers and the public in a clear, concise and positive manner, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrates a positive approach to problem solving and utilizes the chain of command appropriately to resolve work related issues.
- Demonstrates sound judgment and objectivity in decision-making, including sound.
- Initiates work independently without direction and can be relied upon to complete tasks without continual supervision.
- Maintains personal knowledge of area of expertise through industry contacts, review of pertinent literature (manuals) and utilization of available educational resources.
- Maintains professional appearance.
- Exhibits a positive attitude in support of CareFlite and CareFlite/hospital management. Refrains from making negative comments about NCTS, CareFlite, hospital and/or staff.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Current State of Texas certification as an Emergency Medical Technician
- Current Basic Life Support Certification
- Current PHTLS Certificate or obtained within 6 weeks of hire
- Current Dallas City Ambulance Attendant Driver permit or obtained within 6 weeks of hire
- Current Texas Class C driver’s license
- Ability to effectively communicate Verbal / Written English
- 2 Years’ experience in Emergency Medical Services preferred
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to make decisions, which have moderate impact on immediate work unit.
- Ability to understand, remember and apply oral and/or written instructions
- Must be able to see and speak with customers and observe equipment operation
- Occasionally perform tasks while standing and walking up to 100% of time
- Examine and assess the skin and other abnormalities through sight, touch and smell
- Reach, bend, kneel and have high level of manual dexterity
- Will often be required to lift and carry up to 25 pounds or more
- Fast paced environment with frequent interruptions
- Ability to coordinate activities closely with others in stressful situations
- Ability to take direction and adapt to changing situations/job duties
- Frequently exposed to hazardous chemicals, extreme temperatures and to blood borne pathogens
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment while performing specific tasks or in certain areas.
The statements contained in this position description reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.